Halo Shawl


It's been quiet around here for the last few weeks, but I've decided it was for good reason. The time I've spent away from my laptop has been spent with the most mesmerising project I've made in ages, my Halo Shawl by Jared Flood, and here is the finished result. 

I'm still sussing out the best way to 'wear' this shawl, as I've never knitted a round one before, but I figure I've got plenty of time to do that before it gets cold enough to wear it.


I'm not really a lace person, but I think the yarn, Skeinz Organic Merino 4ply, helps make it look less fussy. It's a 4ply that could be used as a light DK, and I knit it on 4mm needles to avoid too much 'lace' happening. And it is very warm (a bit too warm for photographs in the middle of a humid Auckland summer) and will be used a lot this winter!

I've always struggled with lace knitting, and this is the first project that I haven't thrown across the room in a fit of rage for getting all the yarn overs in the wrong place. The pattern was incredibly well written and I highly recommend it for a newby lace knitter like me. Sure, there are a couple of mistakes in here, but I was able to figure out what I was doing wrong, which I've never been able to do with a lace pattern before.


I also finally went and bought a pile of those big foam jigsaw pieces to block this with, and it's really made a big difference. Pinning it out took ages, but with lace, I can see why you need to take the time to make it all nice and open and airy. I can see me making another one of these very soon!


Comments

  1. That looks amazing! I've tried lace knitting but the YOs always seem to catch me out....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! The YOs catch me out too, this time I got lucky!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts