Making plans for 2017

Happy new year, lovely people. I hope 2017 has been amazing so far. I can happily say that mine has been restful, and I've finished making a thing! 

I've been taking the time to come up with some making goals for the upcoming year, and I must say that it's getting tricky. Since I refocussed my making to line up with what my wardrobe needed and what works with my personal style, I'm finding that I don't need to make as much as I used to. This isn't a bad thing though, and I've got a couple of ideas to sustain my need to make.

1 - Makes for Mike. The husband needs more clothes. I think I'm at the point where I'm willing to risk the Sweater Curse, so I'll be looking into that. He also could do with a new scarf and beanie for the winter. 

2 - the Iceland plan. My baby brother (read, 28 year old) and I have decided that we want to go to Iceland. Next winter. When it's cold. I mean, really cold. So I need a nice warm jumper. I've decided that my challenging project for the year will be the Botanical Yoke Pullover from Purl Soho. I've just downloaded the pattern and I just need to find the right yarn. I'll probably need some warm layers, too, so I'm thinking I'll need a few metres of merino fabric to make some tops. 

Otherwise, that's kind of all I've got so far. My quest for the perfect cardigan still continues. I'm knitting my Isla at the moment, and while I like the way it's progressing, I'm not sure if it's the one...

And the finished thing I mentioned earlier.

Here is my Darling Ranges Dress, probably the most challenging thing I've made without supervision. It was good to have a couple of free days to really get into this without having to rush, and make sure I took enough care with different elements.

This is the first time I've sewn set-in sleeves without any assistance, and the first time I've made my own bias binding, which looks so good. I'll definitely be making it again for other projects. 

While the pattern was pretty straight forward, I did find I had a few fit issues through the bodice. Typically, I only figured out how to fix this after I'd finished the bias binding around the neckline. My solution was to take up the shoulder seams by a couple of centimetres, but that meant putting a seam through the binding. Sure, I could have spent a while unpicking the whole thing and finishing it all really nicely, but I just wanted to wear it.

I really like the little details in this project, such as the elastic in the sleeve hems and the ties at the back. Overall, pretty happy with this summer project.


Popular Posts