On the last few weeks...



I'm sitting here wondering where the last three weeks went. The election happened. Then the earthquake happened. And the days after became a blur with multiple trips out of town to help with the emergency response. Not much knitting or sleeping was done, and I felt stress in a way I hadn't really experienced before. My day job is generally a reactive one, but this was another level. But I learned a lot, and have a huge amount of respect for all the teams working on the ground as Kaikoura, North Canterbury and Wellington transition into recovery. Then I got back home, worked a week, and celebrated turning 30. 

 For my own sanity after getting home, buying yarn was the cure. I was very lucky to get back to Auckland for the Handweavers & Spinners' Guild Pop Up Market on November 20. I finally got my hands on some Rosewood Wool! I got the last three hanks of this lovely grey/blue/purple colourway, and I'm hoping it will be just enough for my Isla Cardigan, which is now underway.

I also got a lovely pink skein of Happy Go Knitty's Kashgar silk merino, in pink, which although an odd choice for me, it is starting to become a bit more common in my wardrobe. I plan to combine this with some other skeins of silk merino I have lying around.


And while I haven't had as much time as I'd like to really focus on knitting, I have been getting lots of knitspiration from Jared Flood's most recent book, Woolens. All of the accessories in here are just perfection. There's a round lace shawl in this that I'm so in love with, I might be tempted to try lace knitting again - something I haven't really tried since I decided knitting myself a really hard shawl for my wedding was a good idea.... 

There are some beautiful cable scarves and beanies in here too, and I think I'll return this copy to the library and order my own. Given so many of the patterns are so classic, and unisex, I think buying a copy would be a good investment. Christmas present to myself?

Comments

Popular Posts