Equilibrium Cardigan - deadlines met



I really underestimated how long it would take to property finish this cardigan. I met my deadline with the knitting, and started seaming the shoulders to the back on Friday night. That took a while, but I figured the sleeves would be relatively quick to do. So on Saturday, I sat out in the sunshine and set in the sleeves. It took me four hours. I had to unpick the sleeve seams a few times to try and make them as tidy as possible. The pattern is really well written, but one thing I think it would benefit from is instructions on the best way to do all of the seams. I kind of guessed my way through and I think it looks okay, but I'm sure I could have done a better job with a bit of guidance from the designer, to see what techniques she used.


Evening though it took a while, I was okay with it. All I had to do then was pick up stitches for the front and neckband ribbing and knit like eight rows. Except that it was 400 more stitches (way more than I expected) and another couple of hours. Saturday night was consumed by Netflix and Knit, which I'm totally cool with, but I had hoped to at least get it washed and on a blocking mat on Saturday, to give it as much drying time as possible.

By midnight, it was all done. 
I gave it a bath and soak this morning, and had it out in the sunshine to make the most of the extremely good spring weather we're currently having. Once dry, I spent a good hour weaving in the final ends and I'm happy with the result. 


I've only ever used Outlaw Yarns' Vanitas DK for accessories before, but I will definitely be using it again for garments. It is so incredibly soft and warm, without feeling too heavy. The pattern, by Gina Rockenwagner for Pompom Quarterly Issue 16, was really well written and clear. Aside from the seaming questions I have, I found the pattern easy to follow and I'd recommend it to others. 

I'm sure this is going to get a lot of wear. I can see it being worn to work and on the weekends, and I'm expecting it to become a staple in the wardrobe. Given it's a bit pink, this is quite odd for me, but as spring is coming and pastels become a big deal, this can only be a good thing.





Comments

Popular Posts