The skirt length question

I'm a lover of midi length skirts. The ones that swish around your knees a bit, or flow a little longer. What I haven't figured out yet is how to make one that I really love.

Over the last couple of weeks I've messed around with some fabric I got for $1 at a fair in Queenstown, trying to make the perfect skirt. I've figured out that you need a flowing fabric for a nice midi skirt - not the cotton I started with. My first attempt (with about seven different goes at inserting the zip...) was the perfect length but the fabric just didn't flow like I wanted it to. 


I wore it for a week until I decided it needed significant shortening.


Nine inches later and it's much more like a Tilly and the Buttons' Clemence Skirt. I used the Clemence instructions in Love at First Stitch to make the waistband and attach it to the body of the skirt. Instead of cutting several pattern pieces for the front and the back, I just folded my big piece of fabric in half and joined it together to have one seam instead of two, and inserted the zip into this. 

And for the first time ever, I used a French seam! I think this is going to be my new solution until an overlocker is purchased after my trip. I really like the finish, it's very neat and I think it will work really well on a lot of other projects!

I'm really happy with the new length. It's much more versatile and for a grand total of $5 for the right colour thread, a zip and the fabric, this might just be my cheapest make yet!

Comments

  1. The new length is much better with the fabric, the other one wasn't flattering at all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts