Vicarious knitting adventures


It's a big knitting weekend for Kiwis - March is the month of the Unwind Retreat in Dunedin and I've never made it!

The last few years, there's always been a wedding on the same weekend as this special retreat, and this year I'm saving for my trip to Paris. So instead, I'm living a bit vicariously through Clara Parkes' new book, Knitlandia: A knitter sees the world

The book is about many places she has seen and many people she has met while travelling for the love of her craft. So far I've followed her to Iceland, New York, Maryland and Taos. 
I haven't travelled as much as I've wanted to, but I'm set on changing that. Some of the most enjoyable trips I've had have involved knitting, because I get to meet like-minded people who share common interests.

I'm hoping to focus a lot of my travel to Paris on my crafty interests, and I've already started connecting with people there who know where to go and give me some pro tips. 

Where are your favourite places to visit for a craft fix? 

I've also taken the chance to take things very slowly this weekend. After a week of work that can only be described as totally emotionally draining, all I wanted to do this weekend was sleep, have brunch with husband and sleep some more. Sometimes hibernation is necessary, and I'm one that likes to recharge the batteries for the coming week. I've taken a bit of time to rest and also make a start on Slow Stitch: Mindful and Contemplative Textile Art by Claire Wellesley-Smith. Just the reminder I needed to slow down a bit and be more mindful with the free time that I have!


Comments

Popular Posts