Sunday, March 13, 2016

A way to potentially avoid the sweater curse - sew one!


There's nothing better than a bit of fabric shopping with friends on a Saturday afternoon before stopping in for a doughnut at Little and Friday. I've been getting better at buying only for projects I'm about to make. There's not a lot on my list right now - I'm undecided about the fabrics in my stash and what I might turn them into. But I want to keep making, and husband's wardrobe needs a bit of love. And what that means, is fabric needs to be purchased and raglan sleeve jumpers need to be sewn. 

I've knitted for Husband before. My very first effort was a scarf in blue variegated acrylic yarn from The Warehouse. Sure, it was practically plastic, but I knitted love into that scarf. So you can imagine my horror when I found it scrunched under the bed when we packed to move house. 

A couple of hats have fared better, but it's on my to-do list to give them a good wash and shrink back into shape before winter comes.  I've ruled against knitting him a sweater. While I don't tend to be superstitious the knitted sweater curse would definitely be a real thing if a hand-knit found it's way into the tumble dryer. Sewing one is a safer bet!

I found this awesome navy quilted sweatshirting at The Fabric Store. It's going to be just right to sew him a Paxson Sweater from Seamwork Magazine

It's all fine for me to do as much as I can to make my wardrobe as slow-fashion as I can, but given almost half of it is taken up by Husband's clothes, I thought it might be nice to spread some of the handmade goodness. So this week, I'm going to get started on sewing the first proper garment for someone other than me. And I hope he likes it.

I wasn't intending to buy anything for me on this shopping visit, but a lovely friend showed me around a fabric shop I'd never been to before - Drapers Fabrics. I think I'm going to become a frequent visitor, and I just couldn't resist this gorgeous grey marle sweatshirting with black polka dots. I might have to use my favourite Linden pattern to make another raglan sleeve for myself. Or maybe, if there's enough navy fabric left over, I can make a matching husband-wife sweater set... 

No comments:

Post a Comment