Op-shop magic and a mystery

I found a bit of time last week to do something I haven't done in a while - rummage through an op-shop. I've recently taken to buying my vintage online - often it saves me the time and sometimes I really like that the hard work has been done for me. The pretty dresses have been found, often cleaned, and I get more of a chance of finding something I really like and having a range to choose from. I've found some amazing gems online, with variety that I don't always find locally. But with an afternoon to spare, I wandered K Road op shops to see what I could find, and I came away with a treasure. 


A hand woven top. The fabric is just beautiful. I think it's wool, but I'm not completely sure. I do know that it is very well made and I wonder how it came to be in an op-shop. This isn't any old boxy shaped top. This was hand woven by  Lindsay Matterson, of the Handweavers Guild of Auckland.


I would love to find out the story behind this woven beauty. Who is Lindsay Matterson? Was it woven for an exhibition? Maybe as a fundraiser? How long did it take? What about the design process? What inspired this maker to weave? 

I think I might research this further and get in touch with the guild. I love how one object can have so many unanswered questions, and this is so beautifully made that I must know more!

Comments

Popular Posts