Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A big purchase

 It finally happened. After two weeks of browsing Trademe to find the cheapest deal on a working overlocker, I got brave and bought this!
  

This is my new (read - old) three thread Contessa M0-103.
I am very excited and a wee bit terrified and what I've got myself into.

I'm excited because I've always been put off sewing from home because, even though I'm scared of overlockers, I like finishing things nicely. I've never really felt like I've been able to finish off projects well enough without one, so now I don't have excuses.


What I have only just discovered (typically after hitting the buy-now button) is that there is a difference between three-thread and four-thread overlockers. I've been told by a very knowledgeable friend that three-thread ones aren't as good for sewing knits because they don't have that fourth thread for strength.


I've spent the last couple of nights testing with bits of t-shirting and stretching the seams as much as I can to see if the threads break - with a bit of adjustment to the tension it looks like everything will be okay, but I'll need to make something like a Nettie dress to see if the threads can handle the strain!

All good though - I am looking forward to getting started on more sewing projects at home and seeing how I do without active supervision.


No comments:

Post a Comment