Sunday, March 29, 2015

Getting ready for a Portside adventure


Sometimes when you learn a new skill, you get to a point when you feel like you kind of know what you're doing. Yesterday I reached that point.
I finished my Grainline Studio Portside Duffle Bag at home, by myself!


I am beyond excited at this finished object. I've been in search of the perfect weekender bag for a long time, and I'm so pleased that I've made something in favourite fabrics instead of buying one. I've used an old wool blanket, some scrap denim and some of the leftover fabric from out wedding that served as tablecloths.


Most of the bag was already constructed, but I had what in my mind is the most confusing bit left to do - adding the lining. I've never added a lining to anything before, and it took me a while to figure out that the easiest way to attach it to the zip was by turning the whole thing inside out.

My hand stitching isn't the neatest in some places but I'm happy with that. It will remind me that I still have lots of practising to do! I also really struggled sewing the ends to the body of the bag. I really need to work on easing in seams - the whole sewing a straight edge to a curved one is still very puzzling!


I think what I'm most excited about with this project is the confidence it's given me to just give new makes a go. I never thought I'd be able to make a bag like this - I never really thought a project like this was even an option. 

I know this bag is going to get a lot of use. It's such a good size for a short trip away or for carrying a lot of stuff. And you know, for the next week or so at least, I'll probably just carry it around the house for hours on end. I'm cool with it.

Big thanks to Dresses & Me, where I got the pattern, and Sew Love Tea Do, for putting up with a heap of questions and supplying the wool and denim.



2 comments:

  1. faaabulous!!! congrats hun it looks super and Im sew glad you sat and put your mind to it to figure out the lining. It makes more sense figuring it out visually huh. :) yay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lovely lady! Couldn't have done it without you! Or I could've but it probably wouldn't function!

      Delete