First sewing project of 2015 - Grainline Studio's Portside Duffle


I haven't been near a sewing machine much at all this year. With weekends away and general summer goodness, I've been spending more time outside and away from the craft room, doing my best to finish old knitting projects before embarking on anything new.

A few weeks ago I bought the Grainline Studio Portside Travel Set pattern from Dresses and Me. I've been wanting a new duffle bag for a while. Between large tote bags and a suitcase, I don't really have anything suitable for a few nights away that's small enough to be carry-on luggage.
I'm quite fussy when it comes to bags - I tend to like my luggage to be pretty classic and utilitarian, suitable for husband to use if he needs to (on the condition it doesn't get trashed).

With a few more trips away planned over the coming months, the time has come to do something about it. Enter sewing machine and a trip to Geoff's Emporium for hardware.

I'm using heavy-duty second-hand denim for the base and a grey wool blanket for the top. I've matched some navy webbing for the handles and straps, all finished with silver D-rings and snap hooks.

The inside will be lined with a bit of sunshine - more of the yellow and white gingham I used for my Margot PJs. 


Most of the pieces are now assembled - the sides are all ready to be sewn together and I need to insert the zip. Figuring out how to attach the lining is going to be my biggest struggle, never having made anything with a lining before!

So far though, it's been a very fun make. Lots of straight lines and basic techniques; I've been able to sew most of it so far without help, so I'm definitely making progress. My plan is to get it all done by next weekend - I can't wait to start using it!


Comments

Popular Posts