Wednesday, January 7, 2015

2015 - a different kind of resolution

The closest I've been to knitting this year - lovely handspun from Hawthorne
Cottage Yarns
at the Melbourne Art Centre market.
We're seven days into the new year and I haven't picked up my knitting needles once. 
For one, I've been overseas and made a decision to leave craft projects at home to entirely make the most of limited time with family and friends. And also, I just haven't been that inspired.

Normally the new year is the time I get really excited about what the next 12 months could hold for my knitting journey and for this little blog, but this year, I haven't been that excited. Maybe I can blame the post-holiday blues (back to work today!) but if I'm being honest it's because I have a terrible habit of comparing myself with others. I read a lot of crafty blogs by a lot of very talented people. I browse Instagram in my spare moments and see all these beautiful projects. And then I start thinking about what I'm doing or not doing. 

I'm certainly not designing really creative patterns, or dyeing yarn, or running a podcast or coming up with great tips and tricks to help others improve their own knitting. I certainly wish sometimes that I could come up with some exciting design for a hat or scarf, but no ideas seem to stick. And then, it spirals a little bit - because I don't feel like I'm offering that much back to this amazing creative community that I've gained so much from. 

Last year I had a few knitting resolutions. I was going to knit a cardigan (not knitted but I have the yarn!) I was going to finish something with cables (one hat!) and finish something with lace (I've finished the lace panel on my jumper - even though the jumper isn't a completed garment yet, I think it still counts). And the hexipuffs for the beekeeper quilt? I've knitted a grand total of six. All up. In two years.

I'm not going to set myself any project-based or technique goals this year, other than to just keep going and see what gets made. I'm going to do the same with the sewing too. 

My resolution this year is instead to stop trying to compare myself to what everyone else is doing, how many projects people finish and how many patterns people write, because knitting should be fun! This is a journey that's mine, different to anyone else's, and I need to keep reminding myself that. 
It shouldn't matter how much I make or don't make, or what other creative endeavours come from this, as long as I am happy doing it. So onwards, for a happy, crafty 2015.

4 comments:

  1. Don't compare, it's not good for you, though it's hard not to. When I see a blog where someone gets a tonne of beautiful knitting done I remind myself that they probably don't work from home around the kids and that possibly their house is a complete tip cos they don't even do the minimum of housework and that they only turn their computer on to blog what they've done.
    I dream of things I want to design, but finding time around all the other stuff is hard. I want to knit jerseys and cardis, but so far all I've done is undo a jersey this year. I have decided there will be no further cast on until I've finished my shawl, because it's complex I tend to put it off which is not getting it finished! For now though I'm going to put it off a little further by painting window frames.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to not compare yourself to others! I struggle with this too. I agree with what Rachelle said. You don't know what's going on behind the scenes. On instagram and on blogs you only see the best parts of that person's life, the parts they want to share with everyone.

    I love your resolution to just enjoy knitting because that's what it's all about! If you don't have that, you don't have anything :)

    ReplyDelete