Learning new stuff


Over the last two months, two things have happened. Firstly, I've started teaching a knitting class, and secondly, I've decided to learn to sew. 

Doing these at the same time has made me take a moment to think about how I learn best. 
I'm a reader. I like reference books, with lots of clear instructions and illustrations. I love going along to classes, but if I read several books that tell me the same thing, I feel much more confident about giving something a try myself without supervision.

Love at First Stitch by Tilly Walnes is my key reference, and I'll be sewing my way through it.
So in my quest to learn as much as I can before starting on my pair of pyjama pants, I'm reading my way through these too:

The Great British Sewing Bee by Tessa Evelegh.
From here I really want to get the skills to make the Pencil Skirt, Edge-to-Edge Jacket and the Hacking Jacket. Actually pretty much everything.

This book is just beautiful - I love the duffle bag and the Fisherman's Top.

And for good measure, I've retrieved Minxy Vintage by Kelly Doust off the book shelf for ideas to fix up some of my vintage clothes and my evening reading is complete with Grace: A Memoir by Vogue creative director Grace Coddington.

Comments

Popular Posts