Fabric-A-Brac and stash expansion!



I haven't really been to a fabric market before. As a non-sewist and mainly a knitter, I tend to beeline for yarn markets where I have a better idea of what I'm looking for and know more of the people. But since I'm learning to sew, I figured it would be a good excuse to see what kind of stuff was out there and help raise money for a good cause. Fabric-A-Brac is a charity sale for Hospice and people use it as a great excuse to de-stash (or add more to the stash, as I was doing!).


I think the most interesting discovery I made was that my husband knows how to sew. I mean, I've been with this guy for seven years and known him for about 11, and I married him without even knowing this! He gets extra awesome points for this. He helped Sarah make some bunting on the Sew Love Tea Do stand. He even carried the fabric I was stashing!



I was amazed at the great prices - I got myself a few metres of amazing floral cotton for $15, a stripy cotton for $5 and the best of all, giant yellow on navy polka dot knit fabric for $2. Apparently there's enough of that to make a t-shirt dress, although Sarah tells me I'd be best to make it on an overlocker, which I still find a bit scary!


I'm planning on turning the floral into a pencil skirt of some kind and the stripe into a top.


I'm going to to my best to keep my fabric stash quite small for now. With the knitting stash (and I've been very good and not added to it for ages!) and fabric, I'm going to run out of storage space if I'm not careful, so I'm limiting purchases! 

Comments

  1. That looks like a lot of fun! Are you heading to KAN next weekend?? It might be hard to resist adding to the yarn stash there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not this year unfortunately! Decided to divert the funds into an overseas trip at Christmas! Will miss seeing everyone though! Fabric-a-brac was heaps of fun and it was packed!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo, I'm glad you had fun and I hope that you'll enjoy sewing the lovely fabrics you purchased last Saturday. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind it if I used your photo (the aerial shot of the crowd) on our Fabric-A-Brac blog and FB page. Sarah emailed me the awesome photo of Mike sewing that I am also hoping to use. Warm regards, Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace - no worries at all! How about I send you the photo via the email address on the blog?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts