My first knitting class

So somewhere along the line I got semi-okay at knitting. I figure it's the kind of craft where you can always be learning new things (like lace. Lace is crazy hard for me) but I can find my way around a good variety of projects now and I'm fairly confident in the basics. 

Me and my first students! All so lovely! Also, I'm in love with the
blanket jacket made by Sarah! It's on my wishlist!

Today I taught my very first knitting class. I was asked by the lovely Sarah at Sew Love Tea Do to teach a beginners class - the very basics - casting on, knitting in garter stitch and making a small project. 
I was really nervous, but at the end of it, extremely excited to be able to share something I love so much with others who are keen to learn!

The class is working on some garter stitch fingerless mitts - the kind that's a 6x6 inch square, sewn up along the seam in a tube with a hole for the thumb. We're using larger needles and larger weight yarn. One of the most frustrating things I found when I started knitting was how long everything took me. My first project was a scarf, and it took me months to complete. I'm hoping this smaller project will feel a bit more achievable and my students can see the project progressing at a good pace. They are all about a third of the way through their first mitt - not bad going for a first lesson! 

We're all catching up again next week to see how everyone is progressing and for me to go through binding-off. I've given them instructions to take home if they want to work on it over the next week. And everyone did really well - no major dropped stitch issues, yarn malfunctions or needle injuries! It's definitely something I'd like to do more of - especially basic patterns that people can pick up quite quickly without feeling too intimidated by more advanced techniques!

Comments

Popular Posts