Sunday, February 9, 2014

The handmade gift exchange + light reading

Over the summer break I was knitting away at a pair of Long lovely Mittens for my good friend Margot who lives in London. A mutual friend is in New Zealand at the moment, and he will be taking those mittens back to the UK with him next week. His arrival though brought with it a very exciting gift. Margot is a bookbinder. Not only do I think that is the coolest profession ever, I feel extremely privileged that she has taken the time to make me something extremely amazing. A book. Knitting is easy. Bookbinding is just amazing.





The details are just exquisite. The cover is made with pink suede and and it's all tied together with royal blue ribbon. The binding is made with matching strings along the spine. Inside the cover, my name has been stamped in the corner. I didn't spot this little detail at first - I was so excited when I discovered it!

Now I just need to figure out what to write in it. The pages are unlined so I'm not confined to anything in particular, but whatever goes in here will be special!

I'm really enjoying making things for friends and trading them for something crafty in return. Crafty friends really get the amount of time and effort that goes into making stuff, and I love seeing the results of their amazing talents.

I think this will be something that I do more of. 

Speaking of books - my reading list has expanded over the weekend. Another friend has gifted me a spare copy of Eleanor Catton's The Luminaries. As winner of the 2013 Man Booker Prize, I'm looking forward to reading the second novel from New Zealand's biggest name in literature right now.

And as well as a bit of fiction, Pompom Spring 2014 has found its way to my new house!
As usual, I want to knit everything. I think I need to completely clear my Ravelry queue and just knit Pompom patterns. Maybe I will as soon as I've finished Beaubourg.




No comments:

Post a Comment