I'm not gonna lie...



I haven't knitted anything in four days. The jumper with its fat yarn is mushed up somewhere by the side of the bed. The socks - I think one is lost down the couch. 
I've been a bit distracted by the sunshine. It's just a bit too hot to be handling yarn. I'm worried that it will all start felting in my sweaty hands. And for once, the sea is actually warm enough for me to swim in. I've made a point of being going to the beach for a quick swim, either in my lunch break (it's literally a 30 second walk) or after I finish for the day, for four out of the last five working days.
My hair has become a tangle waves. I'm considering giving up brushing. I think I've brought half the beach home in my shoes. 

While I haven't been knitting, I have been taking some time to think about knitting and my plans for the cooler weather.

Inspired by the blog I am Kate, I have been reading up on ways to dye stuff naturally. I have a stack of undyed yarn sitting in the stash just waiting for colour, and I'm going to get experimenting. I'm fascinated by the idea of cool-dyeing things with beetroot and black turtle beans (apparently this can make blue - who knew?) Between the blog and Jenny Dean's book, Wild Colour, I should get some good tips and hopefully some exciting results! I ordered some alum mordant from Hands Craft Store in Christchurch, so I'm almost ready to go. I just need to get a big stock pot so I don't ruin my kitchen ones.

I'm also keen to get into some more stranded knitting again so I've turned to Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting to get some tips on techniques and traditional patterns. And then there's the reupholstering-a-chair plan. This one is a longer term project - I need to get a chair first - but Contemporary Upholstery by Hannah Stanton is really helping me with ideas.

Hope everybody is keeping cool, and if you can't craft in the heat, go to the beach!

Comments

Popular Posts