Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Hitchhiking

If there's one shawl pattern that pretty much every knitter has heard of, it's the Hitchhiker.
Designed by Martina Behm and currently sitting at 11556 projects on Ravelry, it is the most popular shawl pattern on the entire pattern database an reinterpreted countless times in a range of colourful yarns and sizes. 

Even with all the popularity and suggestions from other knitters to make one, I was never sure that hitchhiker was for me. I'm not really a shawl person. I've knitted a few Simple Things shawls to learn about yarn-overs and bust some stash, but really I'm more into my chunky scarfs and cowls. 

Then I went to KAN and got some yummy Kingfisher sock yarn from Lyn at Fibre2Go. Yes, it's true that I can't get enough of socks, but I love the colours so much in this yarn that I felt it was destined for something more than being hidden in my shoes. I've decided to put my hesitance of shawls aside for now and cast-on a Hitchhiker. 



So far I'm loving the pattern. It's pretty much just eight rows repeated, with some increases and bind-offs every so often for good measure. My only downfall so far has been one of my KnitPro interchangeable tips. The wooden tip has come out of the metal join and while it hasn't quite broken off yet, the live stitches keep getting caught in it. I've ordered some nickel plated ones to try and fix this problem asap - hopefully they will be here tomorrow so I can continue hitching.


4 comments:

  1. This is a great pattern and it really works more like a scarf than a shawl so I am sure you will love the finished object and the yarn is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a great pattern for knitting in front of the TV and not having to think too much!

      Delete
  2. what a perfect name for this colourway, and this is knitting up gorgeously! I feel the same about shawls, but I think this one is definitely one I should knit too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like how the orange and yellow are starting to pool together - usually I'm not a fan of pooling, but for the burst of brightness it gives in this project, I'm happy to make an exception! you should definitely knit one :)

      Delete