Beach + crafts = good weekend

We were lucky to get a great break in the stormy weather this weekend and take our first venture out to our local beach, Te Henga.

I love coming out here. It's not far from where we live, maybe 20 minutes or so, but it feels like a completely different world. The sand is black and the surf is rough. The landscape is raw out here.
Dunes mingle with tussock grass and the wind whips around the rocks.


The locals all hang out at the Bethells Store cafe by the beach - for me a much cooler option than some of the other busier west coast beaches. Much more laid back out here, and the milkshakes are excellent.


To the crafting - Vintage Honey Hat number one is complete - only three days of knitting!
I did drop a bunch of stitches earlier today, and after a bit of swearing at myself for being very clumsy, I managed to save it. I wouldn't have been happy if I'd had to frog the whole thing.
At this rate I should have the next two finished over next weekend, and then I can plan Matching-Hats-At-Work Day!


And no weekend is complete without a bit of reading. Best book discovery ever!
Craftydermy, edited by Tracey Benton, is the crafters' answer to the current trend for taxidermy.


It's an aesthetic I love but something I've got some issues with, so finding instructions on how to sew a cruelty-free tiger skin rug really appeals.
I'm quite a fan of the knitted fox fur by Knit and Destroy's Kandy Diamond
I think I'll be adding it to my Ravelry queue very soon.


Comments

  1. The beach looks beautiful, sounds like a great place to add to your regular visits list! The hat is lovely, your lucky co-wos!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts