Sunday, June 23, 2013

A knitted hipster t-shirt pocket

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from a colleague. It went something like this:

I've got a business idea for us. We should knit pockets for t-shirts. Hipsters would love them. There's definitely a gap in the market. We could use crazy contrast colours and it would be awesome.

I figured it could totally work. A pocket is only a few inches square, pretty much the size of a swatch and if I knitted it up in sock yarn it wouldn't be too heavy. I explained it was possible and probably quite easy to do, especially if the knitted piece was stitched straight onto an already existing pocket.
Then came the next email.

So seriously, do you think you could make me one? I'll buy the yarn and supply the t-shirt!

Here is the end result:


 The pocket took a few hours to make after I played with the right decreases to shape the pointy bit. I used some leftover sock yarn to save buying some more just for this little project. I'm really happy with the end result and even my sewing skills held up. I hope he likes it!

I think I might knit one for myself too - such an easy way to make a plain shirt more interesting.

If we are going into business though, I will have to teach him to knit, otherwise the production time could get lengthy.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea! And I think the pocket would still look great even if it wasn't pointy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I made it pointy because that was the shape of the original pocket on the T-shirt, but I agree, a square one would look great too!

      Delete