Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Not the climate for knitting

Whenever I think of December and January I think of cold, rain, and potentially a bit of snow if I'm lucky. Then I remember I haven't lived in the UK since I was nine and in New Zealand, it's a bit sunny, summer, and extremely humid.

The last week or so has been so hot and sticky that the last thing I feel like doing is knitting.
Knitting my super squishy Camilla Pullover is almost impossible. The thickness of the yarn is just too much to work with in the humidity and the weight of it on my lap is unpleasant. That's nothing to do with the pattern though - I love how it's turning out and can't wait until I can get back to it.

It's even the same with the smaller patterns I'm working on. One sock and a hexipuff and the yarn just feels sticky as I work the stitches. It's like the yarn is starting to felt as I go - not quite the effect I'm after! I know not many people prefer winter to summer, but I certainly do!

4 comments:

  1. I think many a knitter prefers winter over summer, I certainly do! However, I have managed to get some knitting done, as it has been cooler the last couple of days. Thick yarn (DK though, not worsted) knit into a hat and scarf for DH, ready for our trip to cooler climes. Can't wait! Just be glad in the knowledge that summer is half over, and winter will be just around the corner ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your trip is going to be amazing! And you'll definitely need the wool lies!

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean, it's cooled down here today and should be tomorrow as well. I'm getting in some knitting tonight; just wish it wasn't navy blue, so hard to see at night when doing cables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh what are you making? Navy is one of my favourite colours, even if it's a pain to knit at night!

      Delete