Woolly wanderings in Queenstown part one.

The perfect way to recover after months of planning a wedding is by escaping to Queenstown. The town on the edge of Lake Wakatipu is renowned for its incredible scenery, and since the gold mining dried up a very long time ago, the area makes its money from keen visitors like me. We flew down for four nights, and tried to cram in as much as possible.


Queenstown was first settled by this guy, William Rees of Wales, in 1860 (total bonus that he's Welsh!). He established a sheep station, and a short while later gold was discovered in the area, leading to one of the world's biggest gold rushes.
I was extremely excited to find out that this place was built on wool first - leading me to hunt out several yarn shops on my adventure.

My first find was the Kiwi Wool Shop. So many wool shops in Queenstown sell ready-made knits for tourists, so I was stoked to find this one had a yarn section!



So much to choose from! I decided to go with something a bit different to what I'd usually buy - a hank of Touch Yarns hand-dyed possum and merino blend in colourway C6. 

The next place I found was the Little Wool Shed. The lady who runs it spins and knits most of the products herself, and I got a nice grey chunky handspun.


The hunt for yarn took a break that afternoon, for me and husband to go on a Lord of the Rings location tour! 


Just rocking a Stansborough elven cloak - had made in Wellington for the films with yarn from Stansborough sheep!


And a compulsory duel where the scenes of Amon Hen were filmed - Boromir got killed around here somewhere. I totally won this battle. 

Comments

  1. hi Jo! Thanks for popping over at mine and leaving a lovely comment! I love Queenstown. I have been there 3 times pre LOTR though. And pre yarn loving pah! And being the naive aussie that I am, I can never remember the name of that lake, so I always call it Lake Wannacupotea! Speaking of tea, I think I'll grab one and take a wonder through here xxx Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the BEST name for the lake! Next time I go there I will grab a cup of tea and think of this moment!
      Thanks for coming to visit - I love your blog!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts