Monday, August 27, 2012

More vintage knitting patterns

So my awesome fiancé teaches a drawing class at a community centre not far from where we live, and today he made an amazing discovery. A whole table of Golden Hands magazines! Golden Hands? I hadn't heard of it either, but it appears to be a serial for the housewife to knit, embroider and crochet her way through life - circa 1970. They were 10 cents each (with an honesty box collection) and he found a 20 cent coin in the footwell of the car to buy me some!
He thought the one with the knitted wedding coat was particularly suitable.


Look at that hood! I definitely won't have time to make one of these for the wedding, but maybe if I knit one in green I can dress up as an elf from Lord of the Rings...



He suspects that some old lady is having a serious spring clean - he says there's about 50 stacked on a table.



I want this teacup. I love blue teacups.



And I really really want to knit the chevron scarf - but it says I need to get the pattern from chapter 23 - which I don't have! 



I think one night this week we'll be taking a visit to the community centre, to find chapter 23 specifically... I better find some spare change!

2 comments:

  1. hi

    If you can't find the one you need, email me. A friend's grandma collected these (although I thought they were called something different,I defnitely recognise the wedding coat) and she has them in her loft. Fabulous reading!! I'm sure we could scan the missing pattern to you if you need it :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's so kind! I'll let you know how I get on!

      Delete