Saturday, July 9, 2011

False Starts and Finished Hoods




My wool and the Gang Sexy Back Sweater is on the needles. It only took me about five tries to get it going.
I had a lot of trouble with the cable cast-on. I'd never done one before, and I found it extremely fiddly at first. But I did it, and started knitting in 1x1 rib for seven rows, like the pattern called for. I was just about to start the stocking stitch when I noticed a big error. I'd cast on one too many stitches.

Off it all came. I tried the cable cast on again, still struggling, but managed it after about half an hour. 56 stitches on the needles - the right amount. After several rows though, a stitch had dropped and I couldn't fix it. Off it all came again. By this point I was getting pretty frustrated with the cable cast on method, so I just did my usual long-tail cast on, but then I felt like a cheat so I ripped it all off and started again. The next try I'd made another hole in it. The try after that for some reason one of my stitches disappeared - 55 instead of 56, and no evidence of me dropping one appeared anywhere. By then I'd given up feeling guilty about using a cast on method different to the one recommended, and carried on with the long-tail. So far we are going okay. The ribbing is finished and I'm 10 rows into the stockinette stitch. And 56 stitches are still on the needles!


As I mentioned last week, the hood is finally finished. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out, even if it all got a bit tedious towards the end. My friend is really happy with it too, hopefully I can get a photo of her wearing it at some stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment